Friday, October 4, 2013

Spiced Pumpkin Biscuits

Yesterday morning I got up early and made my guys a special breakfast treat. Spiced Pumpkin Biscuits from scratch. The recipe is from Cooking Light (love their recipes!) and will definitely go in my recipe box. This one's a keeper, y'all!


Pumpkin Spiced Drop Biscuits
Cooking Light (modified by me)

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp salt
5 Tbsp chilled butter, cut into small pieces
1/3 c fat free buttermilk (I soured plain jane fat free milk with 1 tsp vinegar)
3/4 c canned pumpkin
3 Tbsp honey

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Combine flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt in large bowl. Cut in pieces of butter with pastry blender until it resembles coarse meal. Chill in fridge 10 mins.

Combine buttermilk and honey, stir with whisk until well blended, add canned pumpkin. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, stir until just combined.

--> here's where I modified this recipe to make drop biscuits. I stuck my (clean) hands into the bowl and kneaded  for a couple of seconds to make sure the flour was mixed in well. Then, I dropped them (it made 13 biscuits for me) by Tbsp onto a greased round pan. Each biscuit almost touching.

Bake for 10-14 mins (depending on your oven) until just golden.

Original (Unmodified) Recipe from Cooking Light
---

They might look a little wonky, but they were moist and delicious! I'm a huge fan of no-fuss drop biscuits. We had ours with a little salted butter. The salt + slightly sweet biscuit. Mmm!! Perfect fall breakfast treat. Plus, I love that they're made without gobs of white, processed sugar!! Jonah & Jeremy loved them. So did this Momma. At 120 calories each, you just can't go wrong!

We have fun, fall weekending plans ahead. I can't wait to share details next week. Happy Fall, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment