Monday, July 14, 2014

Writing our Vision Statement {A Purposeful Life}

Yesterday was Part II in our Revolution series at church. I blogged about our Vision Wall last week, and this week we're focusing on making what matters most, matter most NOW!

I wrote down a couple of key points in the message yesterday that I wanted to remember:
- A vision statement answers the question, "Where do I want to be?"
- A dream without plans is just a wish!

Our Pastor shared several fascinating stories about people with a plan and vision. In one study conducted on the 1979 Harvard MBA program, graduate students were asked, "have you set clear, written goals for your future and made plans to accomplish them?". Only 3% of the students had written goals, and 13% had goals, but not in writing, and the remaining 84% had no goals at all. Ten years later the same students were interviewed and the results are pretty crazy-

The 13% of the class who had goals, but not in writing were earning twice the amount of the 84% with no goals. The 3% who had WRITTEN GOALS were earning (on average) TEN TIMES as much as the other 97% of the class combined.

Bam.

Link to a related article can be found here.

It really goes beyond finances (but that's definitely a plus) and gets to the heart of WHO are we, and WHERE are we going! This week Jeremy and I are writing our plan, making it plain, so we can run with it (Habakkuk 2:2). The questions that we're answering are:

1. Who do I want to be?
2. What is my purpose/passion?
3. What was I put on this earth to do?
4. What drives me?
5. What makes me happy?
6. What are my 5-6 most important values?
7. How do I want my life to feel?
8. Who do I love?
9. What do I want to accomplish?

We've decided to answer these questions individually this week and then meet + discuss and compare our vision to come up with our family vision statement. I'm really, really excited about this because it's bringing us closer as a couple, and as a family. I can already tell a difference in our communication, which is so awesome. Sometimes I feel that we drift through life without ever really talking about it (Jeremy would roll his eyes at me right now, because I'm an over-share-er!!) so you can imagine how thrilled I am that he's sharing his heart. And, I'm working on being a good listener so he wants to KEEP sharing it!
------

In other news- summer is in full swing and I'm loving it. We're having lots of pool time, feeding the ducks, playing in the water table. He loves to be outside!

Jonah woke up yesterday (first night back at home after his summer vacay at the grandparent's) saw our new chalkboard in the kitchen and said, "woooahh". It was the CUTEST!! Jeremy and I busted out laughing.

Jeremy asked him if he was happy to be home and he said, "Yes! Plums!!" which is funny because he and Jeremy have been eating fruit on the sofa every evening while watching the World Cup together. I mean. He loves our family time. So adorable.


No comments:

Post a Comment