Friday, August 23, 2013

Claudia Matcek's State Grand Champion Kolaches

Meme's Peach & Prune Kolaches

I am more than slightly addicted to kolaches. I am in loooove with kolaches. Especially my sweet Grandmother's (we call her "Meme"). Meme's kolaches are yeasty and ohhhh so delicious. When she makes them I eat less dinner so I can eat MORE kolaches. That's saying something because she is an amazing cook and I love eating dinner at her house. Guilty as charged, y'all. My Meme is the best.

While living in Alabama, I started making my own kolaches because they're unheard of (!!!!) in Birmingham. Jeremy and I missed them terribly, so I fixed it. Just started making my own. There's just something so good about the fruit filling (or even sausage & cheese!) and that addicting dough. It's probably all in the dough for me. I'm a dough kinda girl. Have you ever gone home on your lunch break to punch your rising dough down?? Exactly.

I thought I would share Meme's beloved kolache recipe with you guys today. She cut it out of the newspaper and has perfected her own fillings. The recipe comes from the Caldwell, TX Kolache Festival and it's the State Grand Champion winner! I hope your family enjoys these as much as we do!!

Claudia Matcek's State Grand Champion Kolaches
Dough:
2 pkgs dry yeast
1//4 c warm water
1/2 c plus 1 Tbsp sugar (divided use)
2 c milk
1/2 c butter or margarine (plus some for brushing on the dough cutouts and again after baking)
2 tsp salt
5 1/4 c plus 1 c sifted flour (divided use)
2 egg yolks, slightly beaten

Dissolve yeast in warm water, Add 1 Tbsp sugar and let stand.

Heat milk in saucepan until hot to touch, almost scalding. Remove from heat and stir in butter or margarine and 1/2 c sugar. Cool to lukewarm and add yeast mixture.

In a large bowl combine salt and 5 1/4 c flour. Add the yeast and milk mixture to flour and mix. Mix in egg yolk. Mix in enough of last cup of flour for desired texture so it is workable- not too sticky to take out of bowl and knead.

Knead on floured board until glossy. Grease Bowl. Put dough in bowl, rolling it around to grease the dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in bulk. Roll out dough to about 1/2 inch thick and cut into individual kolaches with a biscuit cutter. Place on greased pan so not quite touching. Brush with softened butter or margarine and elt rise again covered, until light to touch.

Make indention in center of each and fill with about a teaspoon of the filling of your choice. Bake in oven at 375 degress until brown, about 25 mins. Remove and brush with softened butter or margarine.

Meme's Original Clipping from The Eagle. Check out the Sausage Kolache Recipe, also!

1 comment:

  1. FYI, I found this recipe previously on another website, which has since "gone dark". Thank you for re-posting it!

    The previous site as the following additional info:

    Glaze (also in the screen shot of the newspaper clipping)
    2 cup powdered sugar
    ½ tsp vanilla
    2 Tblsp Oleo
    4 Tbsp milk

    Combine ingredients. Spoon over warm kolaches


    Poppy seed filling
    1 ½ cup milk
    1 c ground poppy seed
    1 Tbsp flour
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 ¼ cup sugar
    1 tsp butter or oleo
    Heat milk to boiling, add sugar, flour, and poppy seed, stirring vigorously. Cook over medium heat until thickens. Remove from heat, add butter or margarine, then vanilla. Cool before adding to kolache dough, about 1 tsp per kolache.

    ReplyDelete